What can a reference librarian do for you?
A reference librarian can:
- assist you in finding your way around the library and provide instructions on how to use the library materials, both print and electronic.
- instruct you on how to use the library online catalog (LEOpac).
- provide guidance on varied sources that will help you with your research.
- assist you with your research using LexisNexis, Westlaw, Internet, and other electronic databases.
- assist you in locating periodical articles and books on specific subjects and in identifying citations and references that are unfamiliar to you.
- assist in locating materials that are not available in the library and refer you to appropriate sources and assistance outside the library.
A reference librarian cannot:
- provide patrons with legal advice or legal interpretation under any circumstances as this would constitute the unauthorized practice of law.
The reference desk is located on the left as you enter the library, directly across from the circulation counter. A professional librarian or a student assistant is available to assist you in locating materials in the library and answer any research related questions.
Note: Due to staff shortages, reference service may not always be available during advertised hours. If you are coming to the library from a distance, please call the Circulation Desk at (909) 460-2070 to confirm that reference assistance is available.
|Reference Hours (Subject to Holidays and Availability)|
|Monday – Thursday||10:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.; 2:30 – 6:30 p.m.|
|Friday||10:30 a.m. = 12:30 p.m.; 2:30 – 5:00 p.m.|
|Sunday||12:30 – 5:30 p.m.|
Reference service by phone is available to our patrons at (909) 460-2061. However, priority is given to patrons requesting assistance in person, which means there may be times when a reference librarian may not be able to answer the phone. Requests for reference service from La Verne law students, faculty, and staff are given priority over all other patrons.
Email reference service is also available to La Verne law students, faculty and staff. E-mail reference queries are answered daily during the hours listed above. To e-mail a reference question, use the Ask a Librarian form.