Students who are preparing to take the bar examination may apply for a Bar Study or Bar Exam Loan either during their final academic year of law school or within 12 months following graduation. Students may apply for only ONE bar examination loan. Students applying during their final academic year must graduate that same academic year. Students applying following graduation must have applied to take the next regularly scheduled bar examination.
Bar Study/Exam loans are available for expenses incurred for and associated with preparing for the bar exam, including cost of living. These loans are not federally guaranteed loans and cannot be consolidated with federal loans upon graduation. Bar study or exam loans, not being federally guaranteed loans, are not covered by any of the protections or rights of federal loans, including federal or state loan forgiveness programs, forbearances, death or disability forgiveness, etc.
Bar study or exam loans are private loans between the student and lender. Therefore, a credit check is required and, dependent upon credit history, the use of a co-signer may be necessary. Ask each lender if you can use a co-signer to reduce your interest rate and the details of their “release of co-signer” options, the co-signer terms, and if the terms are subject to change at a future date.
Each lender’s web site offers examples of the current rates. The rates are variable and not fixed, and may be adjusted monthly or quarterly according to market changes.
SCHOOL CERTIFICATION is available only after credit has been approved and signatures and all paperwork has been received for the applicant (and co-signers, if applicable). When the application process is complete, please contact the financial aid office at the law school to request certification.
Click onto the links to be directed to each lenders web site for further details about their Bar Study or Bar Exam Loan products.
- Discover Student Loan Bar Exam Loan
- Credit pre-approval is completed through online application or calling 1-800-STUDENT
- Zero Fees – No loan application fees. No origination fees. No late fees.
- $1,000 minimum to $16,000 maximum.
- Up to 9 month deferment upon graduation with 20 years to repay.
- Sallie Mae Sallie Mae Bar Study Loan
- Credit pre-approval is completed by calling Sallie Mae Law School Loans at (800) 984-0190, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET.
- Disbursement Fee of 0% up to 5% dependent upon credit.
- $1,000 minimum to $15,000 maximum.
- 9 months deferment upon graduation with 15 years to repay.
- Interest Only Payment Option: Make interest-only payments for the first two or four years, followed by principal and interest payments for the reminder of the repayment term.
- Wells Fargo Bar Exam Loan (Click on the tab titled “Health and Professional Students”)
- Must be a current Wells Fargo customer. Credit pre-approval is completed through online application.
- $1,000 minimum to $12,000 maximum.
- 6 months deferment upon graduation with 15 years to repay.
- No origination or repayment fees.
Funds are disbursed directly to the student by check to the permanent address listed on the application.
If you have any questions or need assistance with the application process, please contact Financial Aid at firstname.lastname@example.org or (800) 649-0160 to schedule an appointment.